Saturday, December 31, 2011

Out with the Old

It’s after 10 pm on the last day of the year – Saturday, December 31, 2011.  Facebook and Twitter are BLOWING UP with new year well wishes, resolutions and thanks that 2012 is around the corner.  Apparently, 2011 was a terrible year for people.  I didn’t have a bad year, but it definitely had it’s ups and downs.  I watched my husband and friends complete a Tough Mudder with a determination in their eyes – a deep look I had never seen from any of them; I gave birth to my second angel, thought to be a boy in utero, but proved everyone wrong.  I enjoyed a wonderful summer off of work and handled myself well when going back.  I almost lost a person so very dear to me.  That entire experience seriously put me in check while it knocked the wind out of me. 

As we turn the calendar on another year it’s customary for people to evaluate the immediate past and look towards change in the near future.  It’s the time for resolutions which are typically ridiculous expectations aimed at failure.  Most resolutions focus on some aspect of healthy living, whether it’s losing weight or eating better.  Of course, I have these resolutions.  I don’t jot them down because they generally become the framework to my lifestyle.  They’re a part of me.  This year, this coming year in about 90 minutes, I decided to do something different.  I WILL jot down a few resolutions.  Here goes:

Listen to more Foo Fighters – I had the opportunity to see them this year.  Watching the documentary pretty much sealed the deal that they’re my second favorite band.  Must hear more.

Watch more movies – I don’t really watch newly released movies anymore.  Most movies I want to see aren’t child appropriate, so when the kiddies go to bed I don’t have enough energy left to get through a half hour.  Maybe I’ll go to the theater once, too.  Haven’t seen a movie there since August 2007. 

Make a quilt – I’d like to take some of my race shirts and make a tee shirt quilt.  Sounds cool, but I’m not crafty.  AT ALL.  I don’t hem pants, stitch up holes or even iron well.  It’s time to do something out of my comfort zone.  I’ll start with a quilt. 

Read a book that has nothing to do with running – I like to read.  I like running.  I like to read about running.  I should probably change it up.  I charged my husband with buying me a non-running book. 

Write more – I like this blogging thing.  I should do it more often.

Breathe more.

Sleep more. 

Love more.

2 comments:

  1. Perfect resolutions for the New Year! Here's to accomplishing and habituating those things and many more great accomplishments for you and your family!

    Happy 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a plan! I also don't see movies much anymore (3 kids). My wife and I used to see everything. Ah well, good trade off!

    ReplyDelete