Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Interview with a Muffin

1. Best habits you've developed because you run.

I started to run for the sole purpose of getting un-fat.  My first pregnancy was THE ultimate excuse (sadly) to pig the hell out.  I frequently visited Burger King to indulge in the oh-so-tasty, but oh-so-disgusting Whopper Jr…ahem, with cheese, of course.  No food was off limits.  Running not only transformed by body, but also rewired my mind.  I don’t use running as a reason to indulge.  I use running as the vehicle for reinforcing healthy food choices and overall healthy lifestyle maintenance. 

2. Worst habits you've developed because you run.

Occasionally, I can be a ‘Type A’ personality.  My running has amplified this characteristic.  Additionally, I will make every attempt to squeeze in a decent run…even if it’s at 11:30 pm on my treadmill, in my dank, unfinished basement, barefoot, uphill (just kidding) and sporting my jeans.  Maybe that’s just a little ridiculous. 

3. What goes through your mind on a typical run?

What goes through my mind?  Hmmm…it actually depends on the time of day that I embark on a run and where the run is taking place.  If the run is on a dreadmill the first mile or so is an eternal curse of how bad running inside sucks.  I eventually get over it.  If I’m running outside, regardless of temperature, I’m stoked to get out there.  I initially think about my form, breathing and feeling of my shoes.  I try to stay aware of my surroundings, but at some point I zone out and slide into a state of bliss.  It’s during this time that I feel I could run forever.

4. Where is your favorite place to run? why?

I LOVE the Trexler Nature Trail.  LOVE LOVE LOVE.  There are multiple trails, but my passion is to conquer the red trail.  It’s a beast.  The actual trail is extremely technical and incorporates at least two water crossings.  I enjoy the challenge.  One day I will own that beast!

5. Where is your dream place to run? Why?

Right now, my dream place is my favorite place for all the reasons stated above.  I’m going to Vegas in February and I’d love to check out the Red Rock Canyon trails.  Love me some trail. 

6. What keeps you motivated to run?

Motivation – hmmm.  I have a great network of friends.  I can’t let them down.  My family plays a huge part in this too.  I need to be healthy for them. 

7. What is your favorite weather to run? Least?

I will run in all kinds of weather – rain, snow, ice.  I prefer spring and fall running, but appreciate a hell of a sweat after 5 miles in 90 degree weather.

8. What are the 3 to 5 "must have" pieces of gear that you own?

Sport bra – self explanatory, Road ID and Body Glide

9. If I could do "anything" I'd....

I would quit my job and move my family (choices are Arizona, Texas, somewhere with a beach).  I’d open a yoga studio and log about 75 – 90 miles a week.  I would relax on my front porch drinking a tall beverage while watching my beautiful girls run barefoot in the grass (or sand).

10. What I'll never do

Never?  That’s such a strong word. 

1 comment:

  1. Impressive reasons and reasoning on why you are running. Wish I could get it in my mind and with support to start up, as it sounds (okay, well the way you put it) like it could really clear up the mind. Glad you got your writing mojo back.

    ReplyDelete