Sunday, March 16, 2014

Road, Rumbles and Rest - Not in Any Particular Order

I believe it was a week ago this past Friday when I decided to unplug.  In all sincerity, I discovered an article about putting down all electronic devices for an entire weekend.  I guess last weekend was it, or so said the interwebs.  After a cluster of an evening, I welcomed the break.  I didn't want to connect with the outside world.  I posted a big 'peace out' on Facebook as a smile wiped across my face.  It didn't take long for me to realize that I wasn't missing a goddamned thing.  To my surprise, I quickly lost the reflex to check my phone.  How refreshing!
By Sunday, evening I got smacked in the face with some sinus pressure causing me a restless night of half assed sleep.  At 4 am, I stared at my phone.  I began to remove some apps - Facebook, Twitter, Local News, CNN.  The list continues.  Although I'm a recovering Catholic, I welcome the short sacrifices ushered in with the Lenten season.  I proudly state that I'm currently estranged from technology. It is, however, difficult to completely divorce myself when my job depends on it.  I sit at a computer most of the day talking about applications and workflows, clicks and documents.  Giving up my job for Lent wouldn't be a sacrifice; it would be a welcome mat.
Of course, the first week of ditching my phone was filled with so much crap.  Each day added frustration to the growing pile of messy situations.  I had no control.  Thinking my Thursday/Friday would be a little easier, I soon became sadly disappointed that no relief appeared to be in my future.  The weekend was packed with enough busy activities including a night shift of computer maintenance.  I normally don't work on maintenance weekends, but I was on-call.  Not familiar with the work being tasked to me, I tried to thoroughly document in order to save myself a lot of guess work.  Sadly, the documentation was all over the map and I couldn't find the right people to answer my questions.  As Friday afternoon rolled around, I dared to get more answers, but instead was met with a lot of 'I don't knows' and 'Well, it should be fines'.  Fuck it.  I walked out at 3:45 to meet someone for a drink.
I barely remember Saturday.  I definitely went for a run - thirteen miles to be exact.  The distance felt great, I was satisfied with my pace and I felt like I could keep going.  A late afternoon trip to the farmers market yielded some fresh veggies for roasting and two delicious looking strip steaks.  Grilling was the plan and, oh man, I became intoxicated with the smell of the grill.  Finally...Spring is finally on the way!  In what seemed like the blink of an eye, the kids were in bed, the husband went off to work (he goes in for maintenance) and I was heating up a cup of coffee at 11:45 pm.  This was going to be an all-niter.  I will spare you the boring details of the work, but lemme tell ya - it took a long time.  We had no issues, but it took forEVAH.
Fast forward to 7:00 am.  I had my third (or was it my fourth) wind and another cup of coffee.  I escorted the girls to the family room so I could continue my work.  Following a few phone calls, instant messages and application checks, I sprinted (probably more like a slog) up the stairs to shower.  Yoga teacher training calls...
I got to class with two minutes to spare and no shut eye.  The focus of today's workshop would be arm balances.  Awesome (sarcasm), I can spend the next two hours doing face plants.  Sweet.  I was, however, pleasantly surprised with my focus and performance in the more challenging poses.  Maybe I should sleep less.  Ha, yeah right.  I kept moving through the class until we transitioned to savasana.    I damn nearly passed out.  The bellowing sounds of the music echoed in my clear mind.  I felt the base tones reverberate through my torso.  As if my body hovered above the mat, it seemed as if I wasn't making any contact with the floor.  Fully conscious, I teetered in the sweet spot of bliss.
After class, the busy schedule didn't end, but we adults managed just fine.
I knew I needed a good evening meal to fill my soul and cool my fiery energy.  Sadly, I aimlessly wandered the grocery store looking for something.  Before I gave up and left defeated, the lightbulb nearly shattered above my head in the tomato sauce aisle.
I grabbed a jar of butternut squash sauce (never saw that before) and navigated the oblivious patrons towards the produce section.  I shoved two orange peppers in a plastic bag, ready to check out.

Butternut Squash Stuffed Peppers w/ Roasted Vegetables

Slice peppers in half lengthwise.  Remove seeds and pith (white membrane).
Place open side up in roasting pan.  Drizzle with EVOO and salt.  Roast for 20 min on 400 degrees.

Chop leftover roasted vegetables (I had leftover roasted carrots, asparagus, onions & brussels sprouts).  Mix with butternut squash sauce.  Add a little water until there's a thinner sauce consistency.

Scoop veggie mixture into roasted peppers.  Top with Feta cheese and roast until cheese warms.
Add crushed red pepper before serving.

Is it bedtime yet?