Friday, January 4, 2013

My Own Worst Enemy

It’s been about a week and a half since I ate any type of animal protein.  I know…seriously.  I’ve also drastically cut my dairy consumption.  Just before this questionable move I watched a documentary called Vegucation.  I won’t go into too much detail; you can see it for yourself.  Ultimately three people, considered highly unlikely to convert to veganism, stopped eating all animal products for six weeks.  The movie chronicles their lives during this time.  Because I already consider myself a mindful eater, the changes I needed to make weren’t so bad.  I need to feel this out and see how I do from an iron intake perspective.  I had a small bout with anemia back in 2008; time will tell. 

Please don’t misunderstand.  I LOVE beef…ribs, barbecue and most certainly my brother’s ‘un-famous famous’ chili.  It’s a great hearty meal to warm the soul on a winter night, such as tonight.  I was, thankfully, able to make a rib-sticking (pun?) pot of deliciousness the other night with no meat. 

Ingredients:

1 15 oz can of black beans

1 cup chopped onion

1 chopped green bell pepper

2 1/2 tbs chili powder

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 tsp ground cumin

4 tsp finely chopped jalapenos or hot pepper of your choice

1/2 can of whole, peeled tomatoes chopped

1 small can of tomato paste

1 15 oz can of kidney beans or Bush’s Southern Pit BBQ Beans

S&P to taste

In a large saucepan over medium high heat, combine the black beans, onion and bell pepper.  Sauté for about 8 minutes. 

Add the chili powder, garlic, cumin, hot pepper, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and about 1 cup of water.  Combine.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.  Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.  The mixture will be thick; add water if you like it thinner.  Stir in last can of beans once complete to heat through. 

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious... we're kicking off a meat, sugar, flour, and caffiene diet for the next three weeks. This is on the menu. Just a quick note... Boca makes a great crumbled tofu that makes a yummy substitute for meat if you need to satisfy the meat people in your life. We use it for Nacho's. The kids love it.

    ReplyDelete