Thursday, January 1, 2015

That About Sums It Up

I missed the stroke of midnight.  The kids, too, tried their darnedest to make it.  We both crumbled under the pressure of our tired bodies.  The girls woke early this morning to watch the recorded NYC festivities while I sat by drinking my first cup of coffee in the new year.

With each flip of the calendar, I am presented with sadness and hope.  Oftentimes the remembrance of times past, people past, overwhelm me emotionally, but the positive outlook for the future keeps me in check.  2014 was not a bad year, so I'm not ready to submit a 'good riddance' command.  I do look forward to what the next 12 months will bring — only the strong survive.

I ended yesterday afternoon closing the final chapter of Dr. George Sheehan's Running & Being: The Total Experience.  The book was originally published in 1978; I picked up the 20th anniversary edition sometime this summer.  It took me some time to get through the pages only for reasons related to my poor time management.  I made a silent commitment to finish this book by the end of 2014.

I turned the page on the final chapter close to 4 pm yesterday.  I related to so many themes and feelings in the previous pages, but none would hit me as hard as chapter 18.  What Sheehan wrote wasn't necessarily right, but it summed up most of what goes on in my head.  I closed the book with tears streaming down my face.

Cheers to hope, happiness and most of all, health in 2015!!

"My heart will be restless until it finds its final rest."
~ Dr. George Sheehan


No comments:

Post a Comment