Thursday, November 28, 2013

Hey…Thanks!

The past few days were filled with holiday hustle and bustle.  We would be hosting my small family for Thanksgiving and the preparations began last Saturday with the TWO turkeys vacating the freezer.  Yes, I know – two turkeys?  Sounds pretty gluttonous.  Everyone loves leftovers, so why not?!  The hubb and I jokingly (but in all seriousness) decided to have a turkey-off.  Our turkeys blossomed through the days – my turkey, rubbed in salt, relaxed in the refrigerator for a few days while the ‘other’ soaked in a honey salt bath.  My turkey, butterfly style, was massaged with a soft fresh herb butter and tanned in a high degree oven.  The ‘other’ laid out on the grill and got stoned.  Clearly, mine was more sophisticated.  Nevertheless, we, along with the children, enjoyed a lovely day with my parents, my bro and his dame.  I’m thankful for the time that we spent together. 

There is SO much good in my life that I am thankful for.  Here’s a summary:

Family.  Friends.  My skills in the kitchen (enhanced by good genes and the ability to Google).  Strong coffee on a rough morning.  A beautiful home.  Befriending a wonderful group of ladies to share frequent early am runs; my husband for watching the ladies on long runs.  Finding my yoga, again (or maybe it finding me).  My job – no matter how challenging, or frustrating, I am employed and building character.  Snoozes on the couch by the pellet stove.  Getting up for seconds (or thirds) on dessert.  My late mother-in-law’s blossoming Christmas cactus.  Sharing good music and wine with my Dad.  Text messages from my Mom (a recent activity in light of her new iPhone). 

I am thankful for all of you who read my blog.  Since college, my writing is a little (ahem, a lot) rusty – My punctuation is all over the map, I can’t stick with the right tense through out a piece and I pepper paragraphs with flowery language.  This blog gives me another outlet.  Thank you for being supportive.  I’ll remember you when a major publication picks me up. 

Happy Thanksgiving! 

By the way, my turkey tasted better.

No comments:

Post a Comment