Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A Love Letter to My Body

Dear Me -

I can’t quite recall when the physical abuse started, but it was a long time ago.  I also can’t remember what pushed me over the edge, but it couldn’t have been just one thing.  Your mind endured years of verbal abuse from so-called friends that you tried to ignore and forget.  The words suddenly became unspoken and transformed into your reality.  I can’t craft a decent enough apology to undo all the deprivation.  Please know that I do recognize this and my mission thus forward is to redeem myself. 

Even though I finally permitted you to indulge in delicious delicacies, I still spent a number of years pushing you down.  If it wasn’t the ill fitting clothes, it was the way in which my white, chubby frame blinded me in florescent illuminated dressing rooms.  I hoped to not pass a mirror or window for fear of seeing that ugly girl – Me.  Time eventually healed this oozing wound.  Only a small scar was left behind.   

Today, I can stand tall knowing that I have overcome so much in my life.  I love the person who is writing this letter and I hope to reflect the same sunshine to my daughters.  I am beautiful.  I am hopeful that, one day, I’ll accept everything about myself that society shuns or air brushes.  I walk into this next chapter knowing that sagging skin, wrinkles, cellulite and stretch marks are just battle wounds of being a strong woman.  Watch me shine.

Love,

Me.

 

A Love Letter to my Body

No comments:

Post a Comment