Monday, May 25, 2009

Fajita Indigestion

On vacation in the Outer Banks this week…we arrived Saturday afternoon after about a nine hour drive.  Ava was just wonderful.  Gus, being the always prepared Eagle Scout, packed a variety of toys to keep her occupied and I, being the prepared mom, packed a few different types of snacks to keep her stomach occupied. 

We left at about 6:30 am and by 8-ish I started to feed Ava some vanilla yogurt while she shoveled puffed cereal into her mouth between spoonfuls.  I over packed that particular snack bag with cereal, ya know, just to be on the safe side.  I rolled down the edges of the bag and left it with Ava as I hopped back over to my seat in the front. 

Every so often I heard a crunch.  I would turn around each time to see that little girl munching on cereal with a smile on her face as she gazed out the window.  It appeared as if that bag was never ending.  There was a constant supply of cereal!

Not too long after we crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel we made a stop at Wendy’s.  Now, we’ve eaten at this Wendy’s before…it’s dirty, the service sucks and there’s always something messed up with my order.  Guess what?  It’s still the same.  Come to think of it…EVERY Wendy’s I’ve eaten at has been the same…dirty, crappy service and wrong orders.  I guess they’re consistent, right?

I opened Ava’s car door and noticed a small pile of cereal in between her legs.  As I picked her up, Gus was laughing from the other side of the car; there was a considerable amount of cereal stuck to the back of her pants.  I brushed her off and brought her around to the other side of the car so I could change her diaper.  I took off her pants and found another handful or so of cereal up one of the legs.  Amazing…AND there was still cereal left in the bag!

We’ve been having a good time since our arrival.  It’s challenging to keep Ava occupied and amused in foreign territory.  Putting her down for naps and bed time is tough.  I know that I’m not completely comfortable sleeping in a strange place. 

So, as I sit in an empty dining room, smelling the dishwasher detergent and burping up the fajitas we had for dinner I think about everything that we’ve done already and what we have planned for tomorrow. 

I take a breath and decide I’m just going to make some tea and enjoy that.

IMG_0737

No comments:

Post a Comment