Wednesday, December 10, 2014

We All Go A Little Mad Sometimes

A few months back I signed up to be a mystery reader in my daughter's 1st grade class.  Today was the day.  When I hear the word 'mystery' I think of my Mom; I think of Agatha Christie and Nancy Drew; I think of being in disguise.  I planned to show up, in disguise, as the mystery reader.  My work day was interrupted by a 4 hour break, which I highly recommend that everyone try at least once.  It's quite rejuvenating to work a few hours, leave for personal reasons and return mid-afternoon to finish the day.  I left work promptly at 10 am to log a few miles on the treadmill.  For about 1.5 miles of walking I caught up with an old co-worker.  I didn't expect to walk that long, but the conversation was most welcomed.  At the close of our exchange, I kicked up the speed a few notches and took off for 2.5 miles.
I hurried home to grab two books ("Harold and the Purple Crayon" and "If I Ran the Circus") and change into my disguise.  I spent some time trying to stuff all my hair into the cropped blonde wig.  I slipped into a 'grandma' style sweater and accessorized my animal print pants with a pair of boots.  Sunglasses and lipstick completed the look.
The women at the school's front office couldn't believe my outfit.  I guess mystery readers don't really dress up!  I signed in, waiting a few minutes in the lobby before getting permission to head to the classroom.  As I entered the room, I noticed all the kiddos camped out on the carpet waiting for their special guest.  The teacher glanced at me when a confused eye before asking me a few questions, such as: "What are you here for?" and "Which classroom are you looking for?"  I thought she was playing along, until I realized that she had no clue who was standing before her.  Less than 5 minutes later, I took off my sunglasses.  Ava's gaze changed and her mouth dropped as she buried her face in her hands.  She turned beet red watching me pull the wig off of my head.  Lots of hugs, smiles, and two books later, I'd say that the 30 minute event was a success.


A few people think I'm nuts for doing this, but the kids and I had fun.  Besides, we all go a little mad sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment